Monday, October 6, 2008

John McCain on the Gay Q&A

(Click above link for the article, then come back and read my comments below)

I can't even honestly say that I am appalled by the comments Senator McCain made in this article, further, I would be lying if I said that this is any sort of surprise. It truly amazes me how people can look you directly in the face, speak to you, and still not even truly acknowledge you; as a matter of fact, its outright disrespectful.

The 14th Amendment of the governing document of this country states: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

So the question that I have had, that mind you still has not been answered is; when did my (and yours also) rights become subject to "state" oversight and agreement as opposed to a federal issue or concern? I have taken quite a few government/social studies classes (and even participated in enough student government associations to understand that the federal government's responsibility is to ensure the equal protection of rights for all citizens. My taxes are good enough to be taken from my check to go to this government, and my voice and rights should be provided to me. Is this not the way that it's suppose to work? I am slightly annoyned that we even have to have a discussion about this matter, as it seems perfectly logical to me. Unless of course you factor in the rationale that LGBT persons are not true citizens (or maybe some ridiculous fraction thereof) of this country. Whether I want to get married or not, whether I want a civil union or not, or whether I want the ability to call (yes, male partner) my husband should be a right that I should be afforded just based on the fact that I was born, live, and pay taxes in this country.

These are the very evils that people like Tim Wise and Rev. Wright speak about, yet somehow, they get lost in translation from the lips of the orator to the halls of congress and the oval office.

I submit to anyone who reads this, please get out and vote; because true change only occurs when you do something.

No comments: