Tuesday, April 8, 2008

House of Blahnik Member Chronicles

The House of Manolo Blahnik is a ballroom house that has been rocking the runways of balls across the country since its beginning in 2000. As a "house that needs no introduction", I would like to reintroduce to you.......

BLAHNIK!

On our website, which is set for an official launch on the 11th of this month, we will be featuring stories and articles about Blahnik members who are turning it, making an impact, and trailblazing paths in the ballroom culture and the community at large. I would like to introduce to you our premier article on a member of our Philly chapter, Mar Mar Blahnik!

***********************************************************************





















An Evolution
By: Stephaun Manolo Blahnik
April 7, 2008

The House of Manolo Blahnik, founded in 2000 has stood for progressive change since its inception into the house/ballroom culture. The change that the house advocates stems not only from a macro perspective consistent with the standards and commitment of its national board members and senior house leaders, but there is also a microcosmic level in which change occurs within this structure.

Mar Mar Blahnik, of the Philadelphia chapter of Manolo Blahnik, is one of those youth agents of change. At only 19 years old, he walks through life with passion, zeal, and knowingness that through supporting community and giving back, he can make a difference in his life and of those whom he encounters. He affectionately describes his house saying, “…we are a family not only invested in making a positive impact in the ballroom scene but the LGBTQ community also.” Mar Mar became a part of the gay culture just a little over five years ago, but only within the past two years has he been “in the life”. Within the House of Manolo Blahnik, he walks Thug Realness, a category where the participants are to portray a hyper-masculine heterosexual image. Some of his favorite categories are Realness with a Twist, Runway, and Femme Queen Performance.

For the future, Mar Mar looks forward to going back to school to get a degree in Psychology. He admits that he wasn’t afforded many opportunities to be himself in a safe space, during his coming out process and let us know that he will be going to work for a non-profit soon to help support his desire to see change, adding, “In the process of coming out there weren’t a lot of services available for LGBTQ youth that I knew of. I enjoy the feeling you get from helping others and I figured by getting in this field of work I will be able to better help my community.” Mar Mar has volunteered for non-profits before for a number of years and was even a group facilitator for an organization in Philadelphia where he resides. Being a part of this culture and community however doesn’t always afford you the best publicity, with the steps that Mar Mar is making; he hopes to help change the image of ballroom participants and the community. On what being a Blahnik means for Mar Mar, “It makes me proud to be a member of the Blahnik family. Not only is it an undeniable house in the ballroom scene but our presence in the LGBTQ community and the positive things we do to uplift our people are not overlooked. I wish that more houses would follow our lead and not only be a positive force in the ballroom scene but out.

Currently being the only active ballroom house that doubles as a non-profit organization, many of the members or “children” of the house get exposed to the business side of the house. Sometimes it is this introduction and engagement that helps to “change” or mold a youth to strive for achievements within a society that would have them perpetually oppressed and left with feelings of nonexistence. “Blahnik has definitely had a positive impact in my life during the course of my membership. Around the time I joined the house I was struggling with a lot in my personal life and a lot of the members of the house where there to support me, offer me words of advice, encourage me and I am grateful because it gave me the strength to push through and get to where I am now. Not only are they my house members but they are my brothers and sisters and they’ve given me hope”, says Mar Mar.

Before I wrapped up with Mar Mar, of course I had to get the dirt on his dating life. Yes, folks he is taken! He admits, “Being in the ballroom scene people begin to learn your name and you may develop admirers. Sometimes you might meet someone like I have who is a positive person in the ballroom and the community.” Dating in the ballroom for some can be challenging, we wish Mar Mar luck.

No comments: