Friday, October 26, 2007

Free At Last!!!!!






















The Georgia Supreme Court on Friday ordered the release of Genarlow Wilson, the Douglas County man who has been serving a controversial 10-year sentence for having consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old girl when he was 17.

More at: Atlanta Journal Constitution or CNN.com and Wikipedia

My Thoughts:
I am thoroughly happy that Genarlow has been released on time served and will not carry with him the label of "child molester/predator. I am pleased that the justice system worked in this situation, and although I have some very strong concerns about the 4-3 split on the votes, I think that justice was served. Some politicians and the prosecution are furious with how this case has turned around. I think it should be noted that their concern about widespread appeals based upon this new law should only be considered as applicable as the number of people who have been put into prison based on the old legislation (which based on my research doesn't seem to warrant their proported concern). Congratulations Genarlow on your freedom, I wish you much success in your future endeavors.

No comments: