Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Beautiful Sight

Speaking of freedom (refer to the post prior to this one), I headed out of my Midtown highrise residence this past Friday to a bar for a drink. As I was crossing the street to go into the bar, on the other side of the street I saw two young black gay men holding hands walking down the street. I was immediately struck. It was such a beautiful sight. No pretense, no bullshit, no shouting, just walking down the street quietly holding hands in their own world. They looked so peaceful, content, happy. I really felt something from that. The few people that were with me didn't feel the emotion I felt from it, but I appreciated it because men demonstrating compassion and showing affection towards each other still isn't looked upon favorably by the majority in our society.

I am even still reminded of the words of a very passionate and revered pastor of one of the mega-church's here who stated plainly, "I would rather see two men holding guns than holding hands...".

I will certainly be glad when more of our men of color with same sex desires are empowered in their beings and relationships to where our communities will be transformed into ones more accepting and inclusive (there is a quantum difference between those two words in my mind).

No comments: