Friday, July 20, 2007

Black Gay Online Chat Rooms

I was chatting with some people online recently, and I had an encounter with a guy. He sent me a message saying only, "sup". I replied back accordingly, "hello", since I detest being greeted with one word salutations. He then replied, "chillen, holla at cha boi". Aside from the obvious disconnect I experienced because of the language use and lack of sentence structure I witnessed on my screen; I felt violated to some degree. It was as if someone had taken my understanding of the English language and said "WRONG!!!", this is how you should speak. I decided to respond anyway (curiosity...lol). After about another minute or so of banter I ended my discussion with him. Interestingly, I get quite a few hits or messages aggressively soliciting sex. I am still amazed at how much "perception" and "environment" play a factor in the expectations we often place on people. For example, I find it interesting that some people feel that chat lines are only sex sites and that anyone on such site should "assume the position" as they say. Why can't people just want to chat? Is there something really wrong with that??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I somewhat agree....but I dont get on there just to chat!

Anonymous said...

I wasn't even aware there were any more Black gay chat rooms since Go.com went Disney, WBS dried up, and Yahoo! dropped their Messenger chat. Now if you mean sites like Adam4Adam, I don't think those are just for chat. They offer the tools to do so, but not necessarily in a chat room format. The online landscape of online meeting spaces for Black gay men has definitely downgraded.

Anonymous said...

This was an interesting topic...and the questions you've raised require some thinking.

Me personally I dont ask or solicit sex online.

k206b said...

Are there any Black Gay dating sites that anybody knows about ?