Tuesday, June 5, 2007

You Are More

You Are More

Young man you are more than your age and gender.

Young gay man, you are more than your age, sexuality and gender.

Young black gay man, you are more than your age, race, sexuality, and gender.

These are important concepts that many of us think about, but the question is do we really believe them? Do we really believe that love comes in many different forms? If creation is a reflection of the union of divinity and love, I ask then how can it be that my mere presence on this plane of existence is faulty? How can it be that we can love ourselves totally and yet hate ourselves in the same manner? How can it be that we can want the best for us, but be spiteful and jealous of the next brothers blessings? How can we speak about affirmation, community, and cultural-competence, when we barely believe in these concepts ourselves or only "practice" when its convenient? I am challenged as a older spirit because I believe that most of the disparities that exists within our community are nothing more than mirror images of ourselves and our souls.

The desecretion and destruction of our African culture does not have to consume us nor does our subconscious desire to emulate and assimilate into euro-centrisism have to be cause for us as a people to continue to embrace being marginalized as a culture. In a affirming discussion that I was a part of last night, one of the things that the young brothers felt was "missing" in our lifestyle are examples. This concept challenges me. I was honored to respond to this notion with love, strength, truth, and history; my response is simply "Be The Example". I find it really interesting when I hear many gay black men say they there arent many examples of how to "do this" or "live this lifestyle". As pioneers, inventors, visionaries, and prophets of many (if not most) of the greatest things in the history of the world, we have never really had an "example". Does this mean however that we should give up the fight? If everytime we gave up on a plight because the road was too long or too rough, where would we really be as a culture?

I started off by saying "You are more than...." because I truly believe that. Not because I wanted your attention and your ear.....but because history has shown me so.

No comments: