Saturday, June 2, 2007

A Risen Star



This blog post is in memory of Jesse Lawrence Warren who passed away Monday, May 28th, 2007 at approximately 10:00pm. (Click here for the press release published by ITLA)

J. Lawrence Warren III, was a very powerful brother who would command attention when he walked into a room, insight thought and consideration in many, and even provoke emotion and energy from the most reserved. "L" as he was commonly referred, was a community activist and social justice leaders. He believed in the empowerment of all people regardless of sexuality and ethnicity, but especially for young black gay men. Lawrence Warren's passion was further fueled through his leadership of an organization in Atlanta, Georgia called MBK, Inc. in the year 2000 (from an earlier incarnation called My Brothaz Keeper founded by Kieron Williams, Kevin Bynes, Craig Washington, Ulester Douglas, and Duncan Teague) with a focus of providing a safe space to young black gay men ages 25 and under.

I had the pleasure of working with "L" in this venture during this time of new beginnings in my capacity of Executive Director and then later Chairman of the Board of Directors. I am confident that Lawrence's impact on the Atlanta community has brought many people together from different social circles and that his long lasting passion to see our community free of oppression, is a fight that will still continue in his and many of the other names' that have gone on before us. I pray for the family and community that they heal from his loss and begin to move on with their lives.

I look forward to the many discussions and meetings that his passing has brought forth. It is of course unfortunate that someone has to pass away in order for many of us to come together, but as I have often told my kids, some of us don't realize the power we have or the power of others until they are no longer here. I want to personally thank In The Life Atlanta and the Vision Church of Atlanta for all they have done in support of this young brother. I appreciate all of the kind words and statements that have been made by various community members. Anyone can blurt out negativity, but it takes a person of true integrity and wisdom to see past the personal feelings you have towards someone and see the "God" in them.

Lawrence, you will be missed brother. I look forward to seeing you on the other side at the throne of grace next to the Father.

Psalm 23 (KJV)

1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.



~End.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your friend Christian.

Anonymous said...

Well said my brother in the struggle "L" touched so many lives in so many ways and I will always cherish the times and places we came in contact with each other he was truly like a brother to me, he always called me Princess and I can't wait to see him at Glory he was so much !!! peace and blessing your Sister E

L. Montee Jamal Evans said...

Stephaun:

Congratulations on your blog, I look forward to many positive messages that uplift, inspire and move the soul of our beloved community. Thank you for the work you do for the greater good, we need it.

Ynkuya said...

I like the article. I miss L. He was a cherished influence in Atlanta. I do have to make a correction: L did not form MBK. When MBK was incorporated it was by a group of us from MBK this group included Charles Stephens, Walter Vincent, Khallid Kamua, L, Omar Campbell, and Brandon Dange. I was the only one with a job at the time and actually paid for the process. When Keiron and I aged out L took over the lead. You came along somewhat later after we had incorporated the organization. I believe those listed on the articles of incorporation are Brandon, Omar, and Lawrence. The reason I am so vigilant about telling the story correctly is because Keiron, who is also passed from this world, was the founder of MBK along with me and I think it does a disservice to his memory to talk about L as the founder of MBK. L is a very important part of the MBK story but he is not the beginning of it.

Love You Brother,

Kevin