Saturday, April 25, 2009

Golden Girls Star Passes at 86

Beatrice Arthur, also known as "Dorothy" on the hit television series The Golden Girls passed away this past Saturday at the age of 86. This was definitely someone who made an impact in the gay community. I remember as a child looking up to her and the other "Golden Girls" for a laugh and more importantly for universal truth and light. Its interesting how as an adult, I can now look back on my life to see where I often received my cues from.

Bea, you will truly be missed. You provided a voice for and inspired many.

I pray for the family that they move through this experience with ease, support, and encouragement.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lord knows I miss her...

Anonymous said...

...and then there's Maude! for the "old school" among us. this deep-voiced distinctive diva defined a new image of women - which could not help but inspire gay men as well - largely because she didn't need to be conventionally beautiful to be striking. she didn't need to be sexy to be alluring and she didn't need to be self deprecating to be funny. although I miss her terribly, I am grateful for her presence in the world at a time when I could still (reasonably) be called "a young impressionable thing"...