Monday, July 14, 2008

Hard to Say Goodbye.....So I'd Say See Ya Later!!!

Greetings community,

As you probably know, I have decided to relocate to upstate New York in pursuit of my career goals and personal dreams of Public Policy work in MSM communities, specifically regarding Public Health disparities. It seems like just yesterday when I got involved in public health directly, which was just prior to my employment with NAESM. That was definitely an experience (a very short two months), but I can say that I am appreciative for the training opportunities that NAESM provided me. As a child I was taught to never take a gift for granted, and that is how I choose to internalize my experience with NAESM.

AID Atlanta provided me a great training ground to further my professional development as well as the motivation to continue to pursue my career goals and objectives. The Evolution Project, a program that I co-implemented, is one of the elements or aspects of my life that I really feel I will miss the most. To be in the space, and watch these young people mature and grow; learn and develop from influence that I am totally entrenched in is so very empowering, inspiring, and truly life-changing. I will forever be connected to that center through the relationships that I developed with the youth there. Thank you to all the youth for allowing me into your space and the ability to work with you.

My community commitments and activities kept me busy as well, and I will totally miss them also. The Human Rights Campaign- Atlanta's Diversity Committee (now led by James Davis), the Ryan White Planning Council, the Atlanta House Council, and the other projects and committees that I participated in that fed me life and continued to make my stay here memorable and meaningful; I thank you all for allowing me into your space and the ability to work with you.

I have developed so many personal and professional relationships with people that have touched my life, inspired me, or motivated me in such a way, that I can't even begin to tell you how challenging it is to even sit and type this. There were so many people that embraced me when I moved here and became involved in community work, later getting involved in the house/ballroom scene, local and state politics, and even religious studies.

For the first time in my life (as far back as I can recall at least), I am at a loss for words. The comments, well wishes, and parting gestures that I have received thus far have moved me in so many ways. I have been at a loss for words, because I truly had no idea that I had impacted so many people (albeit unintentional) as I have in Atlanta (especially at AID Atlanta). This has truly been an awesome experience, processing this transition, and I feel a stronger sense of purpose and reinvigoration to move forward with my career goals knowing that I have at least made a mark.


To My Entire AID Atlanta Family, especially Raphael Holloway, Tracy Elliott, Neena K. Smith Bankhead, Charles Stephens, LaMont Scales, Adolph Arromand, Auntre Hamp, Jessica Cole, D'Andre Ware, Ainka Gonzalez, Loreen Krug, Jeremiah Wright, Candace Holloway, Clarence Reynolds, Sofia Lakhani, Nicole Roebuck, LaTonya Wilkerson, Hamad & Mike (IT), all my Development, Admin, Client Services, Education, and volunteer rock-stars.....you all will hold a very special place in my heart, and I will never forget the long talks, discussions, laughter and camaraderie that I experienced with each of you. You are all heaven sent angels to our community and humanity in need.


To My Elite Family (The future leaders of the next generation);
Jashyri, Omari, Brooklyn, William, Brandon, Lil Brandon, Teddy, Reesie, Cliff, Terry, Shaun, TJ, RJ, Jalen, , Niema, LeShon, Flawless, and Quintee; you all are the future. Elite has standards, and please don't think just because I am not around that my presence will not be felt nor will my love for you all change. I appreciate each of you for who you are, what you bring to the table, and I look forward to seeing you all reach your goals in life.

To The Atlanta Blahniks.....I love you all, and can't wait to see you all for Labor Day Weekend! Remember what I told you Kamaro.....I am watching you!!!!

To My Community Family and Friends, the ones who held me down here in ATL when I was frazzled and running around like a chicken with no head attached:
Samantha Williams, Ebonee Bradford, Pamela "Sunshine" Jones, Trinity & AJ Royalle,
Ryan Lee, Malik Williams, Anthony McWilliams, Duncan Teague, Rashad Burgess, Pastor Clay Allen, Elliott Summerville, James Davis, Charlie Frew, Craig Washington,
Father Clint & Brandon Richmond, Father Andre Mizrahi, Father Reecho Escada, Simone Bell, Zandra Conway, Tracee Daniel, Maurice Cook, Mother Moenah Beladora, John-Paul Griffin, Elder Antonio Jones, Jon Ortiz, Ki Toy Johnson, Jaleel Humphrey (DC), Quenton Stroud (DC).

Last but not least, to the members of the Evolution Project. There are so many of you , and I expecting great things from all of you. I really love you, appreciate you, and I thank you for allowing me to come and be a part of your lives in this way. I have developed really personal relationships with you, along the lines of parent/child, and I would like to maintain those connections and relationships as much as possible. I am not going away forever, but just for a while. I will always be available via email, and myspace, and cell (for those that have it). Please continue to strive for the best in your own personal lives, and remember that you are an individual but a part of a much larger community and family, a community and family that needs all of its members to strive for the best and to continue to break down barriers and empower each other so that our community can one day look back and say, "We have arrived.".

I love you all.

Stephaun Clipper Wallace
~The Legendary Headliner

Ps. If I missed your name......charge it to my head and not my heart......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I first heard that you were leaving I was overwhelmed with mixed feelings. I guess because for while I saw us as each other's counterpart having served on several committees together and sharing some of the same passions (even if sometimes with slightly different perspectives). You will be missed of that have no doubt! I will continue the work in the Ballroom Communities and in HIV Prevention. Just remember that we are always here for you. The only small piece of advice that I have for you is that you don't become a Jack of all trades and a Master of none. In the work that we do, it is so easy to become entwined in so many issues because the need is that great. But there comes a time when we must choose so that we can give that one thing our BEST instead of giving everything our less stellar efforts. God Speed my brother!