Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Question to Ponder....

Greetings,

I was having some discussions with some colleagues yesterday and today and out of nowhere some questions hit me. Admittedly the basis of these questions has some connection to the conversations being engaged at the time, but I wanted to find out what others thought on this topic. I recognize that there are some people out there who read my blog who only take in the information and process it; but much of the time don't comment about their thoughts.....

Well....that time has expired!!

Here are some questions that I would like your feedback to, and please feel free to be as blunt as you would like. Most of the time, I don't filter responses to allow people to communicate how they feel.....I will extend that option even further this time. I will NOT modify or filter anyone's comment to this particular post.

Ok!........are you ready??????


GO! (lol)

1. Can people of color be racist?



2. Does Obama becoming President really change the scope of the civil rights movement? Especially when a significant percentage people of color in this country still live at or below poverty.



3. Does "white" still equal "right"?



4. Is there a such thing as having too much pride in your race/ethnicity?



5. If a person doesn't understand homosexuality or "gay" does that make them homophobic?



6. Are we ever going to address the antiquated notion of having "male" and "female" caricatures on restroom doors when most folks I know (gay or straight) don't give a rats behind who they are sitting on the toilet next to?



7. Is it really logical or sane to position your argument against gay rights and marriage as "I don't want my children exposed to that!", when chances are they are going to encounter a gay person or "gay-ness" in their life on multiple occasions?



8. Why is does the idea of gay seem to primarily resonate some sort of sexual connotation, as if "gays" just appeared here through osmosis and weren't conceived through sex?



9. If you make a mistake, and I correct you, does it really serve your better good to attempt to correct me back on something else?



10. Why do people (especially many white people) who exist in privilege, seem to get mad at me when I shine a light on that privilege? It isn't my fault you're walking around blind!!!




More to come...........

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll be back to tackle these questions...

Unknown said...

1. Of course people of color can be racist
2. It does to a point, but there is still much more that needs to be done…
3. From what I know it still does…
4. When it gets to a point where you think you are better than another race/ethnic group…
5. Not necessarily because they can be tolerant and have no clue about the psychological aspect of what it means to be gay…
6. I don’t think so…
7. Nah it isn’t logical, but then again this world isn’t base on logic is it?
8. That’s the million dollar question, when you get the answer let me know…
9. No it doesn’t…
10. Well I guess it comes from a place of not wanting to accept this as fact, so can you blame them?