Friday, November 2, 2007

My Two Pennies: National Black Out Day

My two pennies.....

This is probably one of the most ill-thought-out plans I have seen in my 30 years on this planet. WHY IN FUCKIN GAY HELL do our people continue to operate in "principle" with the hopes of gaining liberation in a society that does NOT operate in "principle", but in "results". This whole thing is upsetting to me, and while I do support our community standing up to the establishment (I mean, I have went days without buying anything before), UNLESS every black person follows through on this (to include not stocking up days before or days after) then the impact will be hardly felt. Do not get me wrong, I am not the antagonist sitting in the corner with my arms folded, but I tend to think about things strategically, and this "plan" does not exude that. Movements and media "hot buttons" like Genarlow Wilson and the Jena 6 are not situations in which demonstrating economic influence could've had any real impact. Political and economic mobilization however, could have greatly changed those situations. But, I guess we still think its important to let "master" know that we exist, instead of just existing.....

I am reminded of a quote by Carter Godwin Woodson:

"When you control a man's thinking you do not have to worry about his actions. You do not have to tell him not to stand here or go yonder. He will find his 'proper place' and will stay in it. You do not need to send him to the back door. He will go without being told. In fact, if there is no back door, he will cut one for his special benefit. His education makes it necessary."

No comments: